Monday, July 11, 2005

Yay!!! Good news!

I got a job!!!!! I didn't feel like blogging last night, so I neglected to mention that I had a job interview with "a major airline" this afternoon at 2pm. at 2:50 I had the job, and at 3:15, I was giving a sample for a drug test. What a crazy day. Then I had to do the physical. 20 squats, stay squating for one minute, and then the big, scary part I was WAY worried about... The job REQUIRES that you be able to lift 70lbs. To test this, you must do three things. First, pick up a suitcase by the handle with one hand and walk across the room and back. Ok, not so bad. Then you have to pick it up from the floor and set it on a stool. Ok, again, not so hard. Now, bend down and lift it like a box and carry across the room and back. Oh crap! I couldn't get it picked up at first. The girl says, "Lean it against your chest.. tip it... there you go!" Finally I got it up. The carying wasn't the bad part, it was the fear of being unable to pick it up that was scary. I pulled it off, set it back down, and moved on to eyes and ears. No problems there. I was good to go! YAY!

So, now I report to the recruitment office at 10 am tomorrow with a bunch of other people they've hired for paperwork, my badge photo (I HATe those things! I never look cute!), getting my hands on the study manual (caught a glimpse today, that is A LOT of info!), a ten year background check, finger-print taking for a criminal background check, etc. As soon as the FBI says I am okay, they will assign me a class and I start training. I am SO excited!!!

Fiance is taking my out for ice cream tonight as a treat. I'm thinking I might change it to cheesecake from the Cheesecake factory, just cuz I can. ;-)

The interview was fascinating. Behavior-based, and they specify you have to give examples of what you've done in the past, not what you would do if it were to happen. whatever. I apparently did good. One of the girls asked about the part of my resume where it says I've written amendments to legislation. I explained how it work, she was impressed. I felt too cool for words. Oh yeah. ;-)

So, in a few weeks (or days, depending on how long the FBI takes) I will officially join the ranks of the working class yet again. I am SO Thrilled!

Oh, hey! I suppose you all want to know what the job is, huh? ;-) hehehe silly me, I skipped that detail (and I quote, "ideal candidate will be detail-oriented and a people-person.") Oh well... the job is ticket and gate agent. We switch back and forth. At the ticket counter, we do all the stuff you see people do at that front counter, switch seats, but new tickets, upgrade, rebook flights, check-ins, etc. At the gate, there is an official certification card and everything that the FAA requires (Thus the extensive five week training program). So, we have to keep our certification up to date by working a certain number of gate shifts, although we can request (not guaranteed by any means) to work more in one area than another. The shifts are assigned by seniority, and we "bid" for our shifts every four months to determine the shcedule for the next four months. So, I am hoping I can bid successfully for shift similar to Fiance's crazy schedule. They say newbies always get the most screwed up schedules, and since fiance's schedule is pretty messed up, I'm feeling pretty good.

The pay is ok, certianly enough for us to pay bills and have a growing savings account thanks to the fact that my wonderful provider-fiance makes a killing at his job. (Such a good boy!) So, the PT nature of the gig is actually kinda cool, cuz it makes my schedule more flexible. I can pick up more shifts if I want the extra money, but I don't hafta, so it's all good. And the flight perks!!!! I can fly free on any flight if there's a seat available. totally free. anytime! I am so hitting VEgas baby! And for our honeymoon! Fiance/soon to be husband and I can go to Hawaii for free. Absolutely free flights. and great discounts on other travel, like rental cars and cruises. All too cool, cuz I LOVE to travel. And when you think about it, getting there is always the most expensive part, right?

Well, that's all the babbling I'll do for tonight. It was a very good day, and in an hour and a half or so, I'm getting cheesecake (or ice cream. I just can't decide!)

Love you all!

;-)
<3

1 Comments:

Blogger Indigo Robe said...

Oh my lord, TWENTY squats?! I soooo could not do that!!! Did you mean you had to sit in each and every squat for one minute or just the last squat? DETAILS, please. haha! Wow.... you go girl!! I am sooo happy for you as a parent who gets to fly free too!!! :)

Your physical reminds me of that weird interview I had with that little educational institution (which will go unamed) where I had to build a castle with marshmallows and straws (against the other candidates) and then drop pennies on top of it like little copper bombs to see if the castle would be destroyed. Unlike you, however, I didn't get the job. Might have to do with the fact that I started a fire in the middle of the conference room and pulled out a Hershey bar and some graham crackers. Ahhhh, Smores! Yummmm!

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home