Monday, September 11, 2006

In Memory

Five years ago today, I was a freshman in college. I was young and idealistic; classes had started just three weeks before. As my dad drove me to school, we heard the usually funny radio guys talking in hushed, somber tones. No one really new what was happening yet. The towers had been hit by a plane, and it was all still unclear what was going on. When I arrived at work everyone else had been there so long, they hadn't heard anything. They didn't believe me until the University sent a Big Screen TV into the middle of the Dining Hall, so everyone could watch as these important events unfolded.
I wasn't watching the TV as the first tower fell, live, on television. I was watching the people. The reaction was one of horror and sadness. The entire crowd drew back and took a deep breath in unison. I knew something bad was happening.
As the day went on, classes were cancelled. University President Likins was going to make a speech on the lawn, and all the students on campus were drawn there to hear what he had to say. Looking around me on that lawn, everyone looked so sad, so humbled by these events. Behind me sat a girl surrounded by three friends. She had her cellphone in her hands and was wailing. She was frantic- unable to get ahold of her family members in New York, and sure that someone had died. The look on her face... The sound of her voice... Certainly I will never forget. None of us will.
In the days following the attacks, the university posted a great wall of poster boards. Anyone could write whatever they wanted. It was an incredible memorial and tribute to those who lost their lives. It was a key part of our community's healing process.

Today I am older, hopefully a little wiser, though still young and idealistic and with my whole life ahead of me. If nothing else, the events of that day taught me to cherish the life I have and the people I have in it. Today I will walk into work at Sky Harbor International Airport and try my best to treat this as any other day. I will try to forget the fear that that day inspires in so many of us. I will smile at the passengers and the security personnel at the checkpoint and take deep breaths as I walk the concourses. I will do all this because 9/11 taught me that no matter what, we must carry on. That is the greatest tribute we can offer to those who died. We must carry on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Indigo Robe said...

Wow, just wow.

That was fitting and beautifully written.

I will try to post my memories of that day on my blog later this evening. I have some photos of that memorial wall at the U of Az. I will see if I can scan some of those as well.

I love you, Baby Girl.
Carry on!
Love,
Mum
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home