Thursday, April 12, 2007

In over my head

I dread coming home from work and reading my e-mails. I know what is going to be there waiting for me... more emails about our impending home loan. Sallie Mae offered a rate of 6.375% with a half point paid up front and they waive the unerwriting fee. This is for the full loan amount. The broker wants me to split the loan 80/20 or 80/15/5. I don't understand how this is a good deal when the 80 part is financed at at the same rate (6.375) and the second part at over 8%. The total payment works out the same, but the little loan is interest only so I am paying way more in the long run! And he calls this "a much better deal" WTF?!!!

I filled out an online app with GMAC and never heard back. I think maybe I typed my e-mail address wrong or something because it says I should have received a code to activate my password protected account and I didn't. I tried calling them and every time I puched the number 3, the option for customer service, the line hung up on me. And I'm over my minutes this month anyway with all the fruitless talk with the broker and everyone else about this house so phone calls are evil. And then I e-mail the customer service line, but they say it can take at least two days if not longer to get back to me. So I also e-mailed the manager of GMAC's local branch. Still no contact. Bastards. And on-line, they appeared to have good rates, although admittedly with points up front. But points can pay off if we are staying in the house long term.

So, should I just sign the damn Sallie Mae loan documents to lock in the rate (45 pages I hafta print out and my damn printer is out of paper and ink) and then go with them, or what? My head is going to explode. This is so stressful, I think I'm developing a tick. I wince everytime I see e-mail about the house.

On the upside, isnurance- no problem and way cheaper having gotten three quotes yesterday while I was out and about and so AAA has won me over.

the inspection is tomorrow. I'm still a little confused about it all, seeing as how I told the realtor the inspection would take 3 1/2 hrs. including the review and it starts at 9 and he said, I'll be there at 12:30p for the review. Won't it be over by then? He told me to call if it looked like it would be over earlier. I guess I'll ask the inspector guy and then call. He also said it would be inappropriate to leave me unattended in the house, so either the owner or he had to be there during the inspection if I wanted to be there, which I do. I wanna see what this guy does. I also need to measure for my new appliaces. So, he says yes, I can be there, and then sends the code for the lock box to me. So, if we are entering using the lockbox, am I unattended. Isn't that "inappropriate" I' so confused. I guess I'll find out in the morning.

I can't wait to move in, but in the meantime... *poof*

1 Comments:

Blogger Indigo Robe said...

Ah yes.... the joys of home ownership.

The good news: You won't have to do this very often in your whole lifetime!

The bad news: Even if your head feels like it might explode, you must press on. You cannot let your guard down for one minute as the consequences could last for a lifetime - or at least the lifetime of your mortgage loan!

Now - take a deep breath - there you go.

Now get a blank sheet of paper. Just stare at it for a few minutes.

Good.

Now get on the phone and call your mama. I'll talk you through it!

You are doing GREAT!!!!! Don't worry. It's all going to work out in the end. Think of it this way: In one month, this process will all be over and you will be getting ready to move boxes into your new home! YEAH!!!!

I love you, darling!

Mum
xoxoxoxoxoxox

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home