Monday, March 10, 2008

Well, gosh, who knew?!

I've never had a baby before. I had no idea what labor felt like. SO I just thought those pains that were 25 minutes apart were braxton hicks. Nope! I was in labor! Who knew?! I kept asking people what labor felt like and noone described it like what I was feeling. I was crampy like they say labor feels, but I always thought it was supposed to come and go, and mine never went. For 36 hours I was just in constant cramping pain, but it was minor for the most part, so I just tried to ignore it till I got in to see my doctor. Then, I started to notice peaks an valleys in the pain. So, after my breast-feeding class on Monday night I started timing the peaks and they were 7 minutes part. Hmmm... Hubby and his brother were in the living room watching a movie, and I was in deep denial. I wasn't quite ready mentally, and the house was a mess and I had planned to buy so much more for the baby and to organize so much more. My nesting instinct never came, how unfair is that?! I thought I especially would be the kind of person to go on a marathon nesting/cleaning session. We hadn't even packed a bag for the hospital yet!!! So, when his brother left for the night, I told them my peaks were 7 minutes apart, but there was no way I was in labor. A few minutes later, hubby suggested we start packing. By the time we were packed and decided it was time to go to the hospital, the peaks were about 4-5 minutes apart. That car ride sucked!

We got to the hospital and they took us straight to a room and hooked me up to all the monitors. The nurse kept reminding me to breathe thru the contractions. I turned to her and asked, "Seriously, am I in labor? Cuz I don't know what it is supposed to feel like!" She smiled and said, "Oh, yes, honey! You are definitely in labor!" "No shit!" I said. She laughed. ;-) Turn out, by the time we got to the hospital, I was 5 cm dilated and 100% effaced. Good thing I didn't try to ignore it any longer! I immediately got my name on the epidural list (there were three other moms ahed of me to get epidurals! They had a busy night.)

The epidural was great! I felt nothing!

New mommy is tired now, and will finish her blog later.

Love you all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home